Towler Life

Monday, June 3, 2013

I'm happy to say that part one of our two-part relocation is complete!  Somehow I made the six hour drive with Mickey in tow last Thursday albeit questionable at times.  His meows started as I turned out of the neighborhood just after 5am.  After having been on the road for about twenty minutes, his white and gray paws rapidly emerged from the side zipper of his carrying bag.  He quickly pulled the zipper further and jumped to the passenger seat.  If he'd chosen to sit quietly in my lap for the drive I would have let him.  But he chose to climb around, checking the view from any window he could reach.  I had no choice but to make a pit stop-  so there I was in the parking lot of a QT shoving my cat back into his carrying bag, hair flying everywhere.  Eventually I caught back up with Dan and the trailer but the meows didn't die down until after crossing into South Carolina.  Even then, it was short lived.  I did discover his taste in music as he quieted down when the Black Keys played on my iPod but went to town when the Allman Brothers came on.  Once in North Carolina, it seemed like he had finally settled down although I don't know if it was because he exhausted himself trying to break free again, damaged his vocal cords from the incessantly painful meows, or if the radio just got progressively louder as the morning wore on.  Either way, we made it and I'm not sure who was more excited to get out of the car.

The last few days have been busy cleaning, painting, unpacking, and organizing what we can.  The kitchen got a coat of Safari Vest and I am really loving the way it turned out-  cannot wait to get my white plates on the wall and our copper pieces scattered throughout.

                                            Before                                            After

Mickey has successfully transitioned to being an indoor/outdoor cat (his dream come true!).  He has a kitty door to our shed and can lounge in the sun chasing bugs as he pleases.  Abbey is also in love with her new backyard, begging to go out constantly.  Lucky for both of them-  Dan and I have been waiting for an outdoor space like this for a long time ourselves!




We've met some neighbors who have welcomed us with sweet treats as well as a new ball for Abbey (brought by the little boy next door who says he LOVES dogs) and spotted two bunnies who reside under our front porch.  


This morning after Abbey and I took a walk around the neighborhood, I snapped some pictures of the beautiful flowers growing throughout our front and backyard.  Now to figure out how to take care of them and keep up this beautiful landscaping...


While it seems like we have been camping out since we got here sleeping on a mattress on the floor and figuring out how to cook with no pots and pans (how did we end up with no pots and pans with the amount of boxes we brought labeled "kitchen"?!), it already feels like home:)






  


1 comment: