Towler Life

Thursday, July 25, 2013

We are closing in on two months of residency in Raleigh, can you believe it?!

Which means I have more restaurant insight for you.  Notable eateries include:

1.  Beasley's Chicken and Honey -  Holy cow this was good!!  Don't believe me?  Just ask Southern Living.  I had the chicken biscuit drizzled with sticky sweet honey + a side of pimento cheese macaroni and cheese.  Ahhmazing (and got me thinking I can totally create my own version of this mac & cheese)!

2.  Lilly's Pizza -  Organic, no frills (don't forget to grab some paper plates up front after you order) pizzeria aptly situated in the hipster part of town- Historic 5 Points.  We ordered the Cowtipper covered in feta, ground beef, and black olives- yum!  Definitely going back to try more interesting combos like pesto, roasted red peppers, and pistachios.

3.  Centro -  Intimate space serving authentic Mexican dishes- makes you forget you're in downtown Raleigh.  Loved the vibe and the friendly staff.  The Enchiladas de la Familia were tasty and filling.  I even liked the cilantro rice when I mixed it with my refried black beans.   We will be back!

I can now also tell you from experience just how cool the Red Hat Amphitheater is.  This is where we saw O.A.R on Sunday.  The whole event was enjoyable (until it started pouring down rain) starting with easy parking, no line to have your ticket scanned, and clean bathrooms again with no line (unheard of at concerts as far as I'm concerned).  The first hour we lucked out with mild weather while the sun set.  Check out the view from our seats-


Then, the thunder rolled in and the rain started.  We toughed it out for a while until Dan (who didn't bring his rain coat like me) was soaked through.  And it wasn't letting up.  So, we discovered another cool thing about this place.  From the right level in the paring deck, you can see and hear the show (closer than I've been at some concerts in Atlanta).  We enjoyed more music while we sat and dried off on the tailgate of the truck just out of the rain's reach.  

The purple lights are the stage.  Not bad, huh?


Our shed is back in working order and (almost) good as new.  After it took a big hit from the storms that came through (remember this eye sore?), we opted to look into replacement parts instead of making a claim on insurance.  And good thing!  Turns out this baby is under a ten year warranty so they sent us a door, gable, and roof panel all free of charge.  Thanks US Leisure!

Apparently the new roof panels now come in black...better than a gaping hole I guess!

Our deck also has a new look-  we finally got the lattice put up that we bought the first week we moved in.  As you can see, Mickey is wishing he could still hide out underneath.  I hope Abbey, on the other hand, is thankful her toys will no longer get lodged under the stairs and in cobwebbed corners.  



Lastly, to kick off the last year of my twenties (I CANNOT believe I just said that!!), Dan surprised me earlier in the week with bar stools I have been anxiously waiting for since we set foot in our kitchen the very first time.  After vacillating for weeks at a time on aesthetic + comfort + function, we'd decided on these vintage iron tractor seat stools from Plow and Hearth.  Little did I know we would get to welcome them home this week!



And for myself...a mix your own batch of cookies from Whole Foods that I picked up today on my way out the door.  Hey, you only turn 29 once and I even got an employee discount!  Can't wait for dessert!



Cross your fingers the weather holds out through the weekend-  I am dying to hitch up Abbey and get to the Duke Gardens with my camera in tow.  Hope to share pics with you soon!








  

No comments:

Post a Comment