Towler Life

Monday, August 12, 2013

I learned a valuable lesson recently.  ALWAYS take your cell phone with you on a walk.  If I'd known the importance of having a camera at your fingertips every second of the day then you'd believe me when I say Abbey, Dan, and I met and held Annie-  one of our neighbors chickens...

We were on a walk one evening after dinner and passed by a neighbor's house who has been the topic of many a conversation upon our arrival to the neighborhood.  His front (and back) yard are less than traditional; covered with mulch (NO grass) and exotic plants, a fountain, bird, owl and bee houses galore, and a garden/greenhouse area.  The picture that I was able to snap quickly the other day by no means does it justice-


On our way back home from said walk we finally met the owner of the crazy yard-  Laslow (of course)!  He is a super friendly + funny guy who immediately took us on a tour of the grounds.  The mulch is less maintenance and keeps his soil nice and moist for the array of plants he is growing-  See how well my pear tree is doing (he informed us)!  He also pointed out his watermelons, let us sample some blackberries (yum!) growing wildly in his side yard, told us to pet his chickens who lay eggs in the hen house he has out back (Abbey was less than sure about Annie and the other fowl),  and sent us home with tomatoes pulled straight from his vines.  He really is running a one-man show over there!

His tomatoes made a delish bruschetta!

As if the tomatoes weren't souvenir enough, Laslow also insisted we return for Elephant Ear plants that he claims he can't get rid of- "they just keep popping up all over my yard."  Being the friendly neighbor I am, I returned to gather the Elephant Ears as promised.


Thinking I'd walk away with one pot in each hand, he was adamant that I come with my car to take all six plants.  We've just gotten them into the ground and are hoping they do well!


Call it inspiration if you want, but we decided to try our hand at some real gardening ourselves.  We've experienced success with potted herbs and peppers so why not get some seeds into the ground??  Our cucumbers were planted about two weeks ago (still trying to figure out where to grow this lavender before it gets too late).  How exciting to begin seeing some sprouts! 


And what garden would be complete without a whimsical sign?  I painted this slat from the leftover pallet.  Then Dan sawed the end into a spike and hammered her into the ground!


Lastly, for your viewing pleasure I leave you with a big "cheese" from our Abbey Girl-  enjoy!





  
  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment